POSITION: Business Development & Marketing Manager (Corporate)
COMPANY: Sidley Austin LLP
LOCATION: Chicago, IL
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
The Business Development Manager serves as a business development and marketing liaison to the Merger and Acquisition and Private Equity practices. S/he will work directly with the partners in the groups (across various offices worldwide) to develop and execute clear strategies and business plans, and manage an aligned range of marketing campaigns, programs/events, communications and key account activity.
Projects may include: securing panel and other appointments through the submission of written proposals/pitches; assisting in the maintenance of business development and marketing collateral for the group (including experience databases); monitoring progress against planned priorities; directory submissions and improving the profile of the practices and developing strategy for participation in or planning of major events. S/he takes an active role in learning about these and other practices and developing the groups' and the firm's internal knowledge about its clients and business in order to foster cross-selling.
S/he will also have managerial and mentoring responsibility for the Business Development Specialist and Coordinators working with the practices.
Strategic Practice and Client Development
- Consults with Practice Area Team (PAT) leaders and key partners on development and coordination of marketing and client development plans for the group and individual lawyers within the PAT.
- Attends and contributes to PAT meetings and planning sessions.
- Tracks and analyzes practice initiatives and how those initiatives impact the group's budget and to provide evaluation of past initiatives to determine if there is sufficient ROI to repeat those initiatives.
- Evaluates the viability and probability of the development of business prospects and cross-marketing efforts of the practice groups.
- Manages, develops and refines processes and procedures relating to the Practices' business development "infrastructure” (e.g., written collateral; database/matter lists; contact lists; opportunity tracking; etc.). Maintains an acute level of quality control to ensure that all marketing collateral, communications, deal lists, etc. are consistent, error-free, and up to date. Ensures processes are efficient and the best possible use is made of available technology and other resources.
- Coordinates with the Market Intelligence team to conduct industry and client research to aid in practice development initiatives.
- Facilitates the planning, implementation and follow-up of new business or cross-marketing opportunities.
Proposals and Pitches
- Serves as lead project manager for RFPs and pitches, both for the primary practices and other groups, as necessary.
- Spearheads briefing discussions to propose and/or understand the opportunity.
- Writes new business proposals and produces targeted, tailored responses to RFIs/ RFPs.
- Serves as advisor in preparing and rehearsing pitch teams.
- Supports follow-up and debrief activities post-pitch and report them back to firm.
Other Marketing and Profile-raising Activities
- Leads practice areas' submissions of rankings, surveys, league tables and other ratings information.
- Works with Regional Marketing teams to hold Sidley-sponsored and other co-hosted programs and events.
- Coordinates with Communication team on PR opportunities.
- Recommends and facilitates the involvement of firm lawyers in professional organizations that will enhance the visibility of the lawyers and the firm in global and industry platforms.
- Coordinates with Communications team on thought leadership pieces and leveraging social media platforms.
- Participates in hiring, managing and developing junior members for their team.
- Oversees daily operations and reviews staff work.
- Manages professional development of staff goal setting, coaching and training.
- Prepares annual performance appraisals and provide timely performance feedback on performance.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the Duties and Responsibilities (Duties) above satisfactorily and meet the requirements below. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. If you need such an accommodation, please email email@example.com (current employees should contact Human Resources).
Education and/or Experience:
- A minimum of eight (8) years of professional experience with at least 4 years of experience in law firms (especially in the practices listed above) and/or strategic planning, sales, market assessment or positioning in financial services industry or other professional services industry
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited four year college or university, preferably in business or similar field
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities and take initiative to drive projects
- Strong organizational skills for own workload as well direct reports' workload
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PPT and Excel
- M.B.A. or J.D. a considerable plus
- Supervisory, managerial and/or project management experience
- Familiarity with databases such as Lexis, DocketNavigator, CapitalIQ and other resources
Other Skills and Abilities:
The following will also be required of the successful candidate:
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Good judgment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Able to work harmoniously and effectively with others
- Able to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Able to work under pressure
- Able to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities
Sidley Austin LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/bkzs4n798n